Saturday 14 June 2014

Who Decides What WE Wear Next Season?

Hello darlings,

I am sorry to have been gone for such a long time, but I have been extremely busy with school and work while also writing my dissertation and finishing my degree (hooray!!!). I have to say it was one of the busiest and most tiring periods of my entire life, but it is finished now and I have time for the things that I truly enjoy: marketing and fashion.

So to open up the new season, I want to make this post exactly about that: fashion marketing. Working in Soho and being 5 minutes away from Oxford Street is very entertaining, but also intriguing, as I have had more time than before to observe fashion brands and their marketing campaigns. For months, I have seen window displays changing, collections replaced and slowly have seen the fashionistas mirroring the fashion on display. Then it dawned on me that indeed, fashion is subjective on what we like to wear, but we are definitely influenced by people we rarely think of at all: fashion buyers. It is not the brand that brings the collections to the store, but the visionary people who can envision and predict what we will like to wear.

Then I was amazed because these people have so much power! Yes, they are brilliant in influencing fashion trends that impact an entire generation and generations to come (if you are a fashion buyer reading, no pressure!), but their marketing skills are truly extraordinary. Just think how well they know the market and their target so that they can come up with an original message that will trigger our need for that pair of shoes from the new collection. However, the job of a fashion buyer is not easy as they need to know the past, the present and predict the future of fashion, so they need to keep their eyes open at all times. In spite of that though, how amazing would it be to be in this business and work with creative people all day long, to not only find and select the best fashion out there, but also to create the right piece of marketing that will get customers hooked. It gets me excited only thinking about it.

So, to express my enthusiasm, I gathered some of the most interesting window shops and ads that I could find on my way to work (and a sneak peek to the summer collections because I just couldn't resist).

See you soon!

Sonia










No comments:

Post a Comment